Re: pkgtools/pkg_install does not compile with gcc-9 (Ubutnu 20)

On Tue, 2020-03-17 at 10:06 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 at 12:38, Shay Perlstein <
> > Shay.Perlstein%tomtom.com@localhost> wrote:

> > > But why should I do that? I mean the main quesiton is about the
> > > pkg
>
> You should do that because here we only want to fix pkgsrc-current
> and
> for a few more weeks 2019Q4.  So if you want something fixed, or
> help,
> we generally ask that you first update to something that isn't
> deprecated.
>
> > > default setting to force the usage of the system compiler. I did
> > > change
> > > it locally and everything compiles fine with pksrc GCC7 compiler
> > > which
> > > we use to compile everything (again we are on a last year release
> > > branch).
> > > Our main usage of pkgsrc is to avoid system dependencies,
> > > buidling
> > > pkgsrc bootstrap and/or packages with system compilers is not
> > > desired.
>
> You need a compiler to start with.   How are you going to bootstrap
> without a system compiler?
>
> I would suggest that you start by having your base OS configuration
> under configuration management.
>
> If you are trying to build pkgsrc with a system compiler and then
> rebuild things with native, and then move that around, it is tricky
> and
> may be hard.
>
> > Senior users will correct me, but I'm led to believe that whatever
> > is
> > in Makefile will override whatever is in mk.conf. I'm not 100% sure
> > but this is my experience.
>
> I think so, but this is not 100% solid as there are variables
> assigned
> with = and with =?.
>
> Part of the issue is that there is a notion of "user settable"
> variables
> which should be in mk.conf (only) and "package settable" variables
> which
> should be in packages (only).  But, sometimes they don't come in
> pairs,
> and are abused.
>
> It gets harder when people do unusual or nonstandard things.

Ok so this indeed kind of explain the situation thanks, my final
comments if I may:

- The comment in the package refers to old BSD releases
"# ...but older NetBSD installations won't
# support them.  In this case, we explicitly use the native GCC
# compiler to avoid problems with depending on pkgsrc GCC for building
# pkg_install."

Which is not entirely clear to new users.

- It would be nice if mk.config flags are not blindly overridden.
In our case we build the bootstrap with system compiler first, and
rebuild all the packages again with pkgsrc compiler. So the second
compilation will be built using an updated mk.conf file with different
settings. We even compile our packages under docker on Linux to
minimize system dependencies.
There are some issues we discovered with this setup and we will try to
contribute them ASAP, as part of our current migration to latest
release.