Re: kde4/5 status?

Chavdar wrote:
> mlh wrote:
> > What is the status of kde4/5? I just built kde4 (again) under
> > -current and kdeinit4 and ksmserver immediately coredump. Anything
> > new (other than hal and dbus) required to get it going again? It
> > has been a few years since I tried using it.
>
> I've been using it for quite some time on a -current amd64 laptop;
> starting from kde4, later bits of the next framework were added as
> they became available. My last pkg_rolling-replace (on top of a
> -current pkgsrc) was perhaps a month ago (but I am going through
> another one right now, so I 'see if there is going to be any problems,
> in three to four days from now - it takes that much...). I haven't had
> any problems with it so far.

Thanks for replying.  The only thing I had to do to build kde4 was
to comment out games/kpat from the kde4 Makefile. Everything else
built ok.

If you don't mind, exactly what are you doing to make it work? To
try to simplify, I am just trying to launch it from startx using
startkde in .xinitrc. This worked when I tried using it a number
of years ago.