Re: How to deal with packages having the same files

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 at 00:58, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > Two packages, gcr-3.28.0nb5 and gnome-keyring-2.32.1nb27 in this case,
> > cannot be installed at the same time, as they have two files in common:
> >
> > /usr/pkg/share/GConf/gsettings/org.gnome.crypto.pgp.convert
> > /usr/pkg/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.crypto.pgp.gschema.xml
>
> I am guessing you mean that each of them has both of those files.
Yes:
➜  security comm -12 gcr/PLIST gnome-keyring/PLIST
share/GConf/gsettings/org.gnome.crypto.pgp.convert
share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.crypto.pgp.gschema.xml

> > Different packages require one or the other; if one sticks to one
> > desktop environment, there is a good chance that this wouldn't come
> > about. If one wants to try different DEs, then this may become a
> > problem. I've hit this and for some time was just forcibly uninstalling
> > one if the other was due for an upgrade or installation as part of some
> > DE. Lately I modified gcr to exclude the above files and I can have them
> > installed at the same time; this, of course. may have other repercussions.
> >
> > What would be the advise to deal with this, if it is considered a
> > problem at all? I haven't checked the contents of these two files, so my
> > 'solution' may break gcr.
>
> Basically this is a bug in one or the other upstreams, or an
> uncooperative fork siutaion where they are both attempting to do the
> same thing.
>
> The fix is to get one or the other or both to place files under their
> own namespace, or to patch one of them in pkgsrc to do that.  None of
> that is easy.
Packages directly using these two:
..
➜  pkgsrc find . -name Makefile  | xargs grep -l 'gnome-keyring/buildlink3'
./chat/telepathy-mission-control/Makefile
./chat/telepathy-mission-control5/Makefile
./databases/gq/Makefile
./databases/mysql-workbench/Makefile
./devel/libgnomeui/Makefile
./net/twitux/Makefile
./net/vino/Makefile
./security/gnome-keyring-manager/Makefile
./security/seahorse/Makefile
./sysutils/gnome-device-manager/Makefile
./sysutils/gnome-mount/Makefile
./sysutils/gvfs/Makefile
./sysutils/libgksu/Makefile
./www/epiphany/Makefile
./x11/py-gnome2-desktop/Makefile
./x11/mate-settings-daemon/Makefile
./wip/chromium/Makefile
./wip/empathy/Makefile
./wip/gambas3-gb-desktop-gnome-keyring/Makefile
./wip/gksu/Makefile
./wip/lat/Makefile
./wip/vino/Makefile
➜  pkgsrc find . -name Makefile  | xargs grep -l 'gcr/buildlink3'
./mail/evolution-data-server/Makefile
./mail/evolution/Makefile
./www/midori/Makefile
./wip/empathy/Makefile
./wip/epiphany/Makefile
./wip/gnome-keyring/Makefile
./wip/surf-git/Makefile

(but the dependency tree obviously expands, e.g. more use
evolution-data-server).

My 'solution', getting rid of the common files in gcr, eventually lead
to both www/midori and wip/epiphany not working properly, which, with
hindsight, was to be expected.

I guess it is a fallout from the removal of meta-pkgs/gnome etc.

Anyway, thought someone might hit the same problem.

--
----