Re: Modular vs Native X11 <CANR6Wa62TetB6m2QiwmYro1A3NqrASQqROwMdSMj475FRVgtjw%mail.gmail.com@localhost>

> I have always used the modular version for X11_TYPE.  However, I do have
> the occasional stability problems, particularly when I resize a
> pseudo-terminal.

> I'm using Amd64 Current (9.99.17), but this has happened across a variety
> of builds and it always causes X11 to dump core.  The CPU is a Core2 Duo
> P8600 and G4X Intel graphics

> Do people have views on which is more stable?  In an xconsole I get
> frequent warnings about "Potential atomic update failure on pipe A: -35."
> This comes from intel_sprite.c:132.  There is an "ifdef __NetBSD__" line
> and I don't know if it's equally relevant to both native and modular builds.

> Any thoughts?

> Thanks, Art

It has been said that native X11_TYPE is better integrated with NetBSD than modular X11.

I am currently on modular X11, which can get into a major mess when updating with pkg_rolling-replace.

My thought would be to switch to native X11 to relieve much of the load on pkg_rolling-replace.

My recent cvs updating activity has been for both src and xsrc, as well as pkgsrc.

Tom