Re: XCode 11.1 + Mac OS X 10.14.6 + pkgsrc 2019Q3

Jaromír Doleček <jaromir.dolecek%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Le jeu. 10 oct. 2019 à 14:17, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> a écrit :
>>
>> Jaromír Doleček <jaromir.dolecek%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>> > Maybe set OSX_TOLERATE_SDK_SKEW=yes by default actually?
>>
>> I don't follow this.  i thought that the SDK could build for various
>> targets, and had a default.  Building for 10.15 on a 10.14 or 10.13
>> system is unsound, and that sort of thing has caused actual problems.
>>
>> Is the new SDK able to be configured to build for older versions?
>
> No, the updated Xcode can't target the old version. Once you update
> Xcode to newer version, you can only target the latest SDK. The Xcode
> installation simply doesn't include anything else.

That's pretty broken.  I thought the whole point was to be able to
separate build host from target host.  It would seem then that we should
instruct people not to update to Xcode that is newer than their OS.

How are people, outside of pkgsrc, expected to build programs that work
on their machines, once they have updated?