Re: pkgsrc picking up wrong fontconfig

Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost> writes:

>> When foo depends on bar, and foo's bl3 has bar, then anything that
>> depends on foo (via bl3) has to end up with the *same bar* that foo
>> used.  Lacking a mechanism to do exactly that, we have to have a safe
>> approximation.
>>
>> Really the whole notion of native vs pkgsrc X libs, other than a great
>> native/modular divide, is not really sound.  If native isn't fully ok,
>> so that we can build everything with only native, we have to either give
>> up on native entirely or give up on the modules that are semi-ok.
>
> The longer I think about this, the more it reminds me of the gcc
> issue. Basically it should be a global setting, but it's decided on a
> per-package level.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say...

> For pango, the workaround seems easier than for gcc - we can just make
> everyone depend on the latest pango (and latest fontconfig). Add the
> fontconfig + freetype2 version patterns from the Makefile to the
> buildlink3.mk file and bump the API (I think, since we don't want it
> to be overridable) depends, then bump all users.

I don't think pango is the problem; it's just fontconfig.   And pango
requiring new fontconfig  means every other program that uses fontconfig
that could possibly also be linked with pango (or something that could be
linked with something that could be linked with pango, transitive
closure) has to use the new fontconfig.

So what I want to do is set the BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS in fontconfig/bl3
to 2.11.91.  That means native fontconfig on -8 will never be used by
pkgsrc, I think.

(There may be a similar freetype2 issue.)