Re: pkgsrc picking up wrong fontconfig

Mike Pumford <mpumford%mudcovered.org.uk@localhost> writes:

> The problem seems to be that although pkgsrc compiles and installs
> fontconfig 2.13 it seems to by default prefer the OLDER base system
> fontconfig over the one from pkgsrc. This seems like a bug to me. If
> we have a package dep that only the pkgsrc fontconfig can provide then
> pkgsrc should take it over the native one.

Agreed and well said.

But it's worse than that.  If we have

  foo depends on newer fontconfig
  bar depends on foo

then your approach works.  But if we have

  foo depends on newer fontconfig
  baz depends on any fontconfig
  bar depends on foo and baz

then we still need to force baz to new, to avoid bar ending up with two
fontconfigs.

So I have arrived at

   once native fontconfig isn't good enough for anything, we need to
   just give up on it entirely.