Re: Surprised that editors/emacs26 has rust as a dependency

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 11:38:28AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 10:13:54AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > You can set
> > LIBRSVG_TYPE=c
> > to use the older librsvg version that is completely in C, or turn
> > off the svg option in emacs.
>
> We *really* should keep the C version as default for now.
> I complained upstream, but of course they don't see the pain this causes.
>
> Martin

We really shouldn't return to an unmaintained version of a library
as a default because the maintained version takes slightly longer
to build.

... which is mostly the result of other choices that have been made
in pkgsrc regarding the way the rust compiler is packaged anyway.

The language is only going to become more unavoidable as time goes on,
we can't run away forever. Best to make installing it less painful
for our users, for example, with a binary package...

The C version can live forever on non-llvm platforms, until it inevitably
stops working with newer software.