Re: mail/postfix: PKGREVISION in Makefile or Makefile.common?

Le 2019-07-16 16:27, Greg Troxel a écrit :
Frédéric Fauberteau <triaxx%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

I intend to commit a fix to PR pkg/54338 for mail/postfix but I don't
know where put the PKGREVISION, either in Makefile or
Makefile.common. In other terms, should the postfix modules be rebuild
if the revision of mail/postfix is bumped?

PKGREVISION is supposed to be incremented in a package if there is any
change in the contents of the package, with an exception that if we make
minor change things like HOMEPAGE, DESCR, or other metadata, we often
omit the increment.

Generally, we do not put PKGREVISION in Makefile.common at all, because
there are often circumstances where one of the users needs an increment
and others do not.

If you are patching a file in postfix that changes one of the installed
binaries, then PKGREVISION++ in postfix itself is appropriate.  If the
modules are not changed by the commit, then they should not get an
increment.

There's a separate rule, which is that when there is an ABI change in a
package, any package that depends on the ABI-changed package gets
PKGREVISION++.  This is not because the contents change, but to force a
mismatch because such a package in general needs to be built against the
new ABI (even though often this is not necessary - it's just hard to
tell).

I had a doubt because there seems to be some exceptions:
$ find . -type f -name "Makefile.common" -exec grep -q PKGREVISION '{}' \; -and -print
./archivers/gtar/Makefile.common
./wip/xspd/Makefile.common
./wip/lapack/Makefile.common
./devel/libtool/Makefile.common