Re: devel/git and devel/git-base are confusing

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019, nia wrote:

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:32:34AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
I don't understand what problem nia@ is trying to solve, really, becuase

users expect the git package to just contain the command line tools
 and nothing else.

to me seems untrue.

It came up in pkg/54365, and has been brought up by confused people on
IRC various times. Actually, I started this thread because people were
arguing about it on IRC and I wanted to propose something productive.

I remember it confusing me as a new user. FreeBSD, for example, has a
separate git-gui package, and 'git' is git-without-GUI. Now that I
know how things work, I'm happy to install git-base and git-docs,
but I would like to clarify things for new users.

I think most of the pkgsrc packages have tetex/svn/git to be a
comprehensive package and git-base (for example) to be just the base
packages.

I don't know where you guys come from, but that's how I remember it.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd%twofifty.com@localhost
BSEE + BSChem + BAEnglish + MSCS + $2.50 = coffee