Joyent pkgsrc Centos binary installation on... Slackware?

Yesterday I casually bumped into this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4GFzPrk5Rk

The uploader did a parallel install of Joyent pkgsrc binary framework
on both a Centos and a Slackware machine (the Centos one is the one
with amber text on black background and the Slackware one is the one
with a white background).

He then went on and installed Xemacs on Slackware and I was surprised
it actually worked.

My questions are:

 - Why did it work?

 - Isn't the bulk binary build only supposed to work with Centos?

- Would it work on my pseudo-Debian machine? (I dare not try yet).

This could potentially open a whole world of possibilities (or a can of worms).

Regards

--
Ottavio Caruso