Re: Python package issues

On 25/05/2019 21:54, Greg Troxel wrote:
Mike Pumford <mpumford%mudcovered.org.uk@localhost> writes:

Sometimes you can't. If you have a package chain that depends on the
py27 and py37 version of the same package you can't do a make clean in
between. Only fix here is for pkgsrc to do a make clean after make
install for packages being installed as dependencies.

The other change, that has has some discussion, is to make WRKDIR be
work-$PKGNAME or something like that, for all packages that have
versions.

That's just as valid a solution.

It is an interesting suggestion to have the dependency call be "make
package-install clean" instead of just "make package-install".  We have
generally avoided implicit cleans, but I'm not sure that's helpful on
balance.

I can see why it might be useful during package development. In that scenario you might be trying to figure out why a dependency hasn't provided a file it was supposed to. If the work directory for it is gone that will become more difficult.

Trying to debug issues with packages built using pkg_comp can be frustrating becuase of its habit of forcibly cleaning up at the end of the build of each package set so the no-clean policy does have some merit.

Having an option to turn it on might be useful for users of pkgsrc rather than developers though.

I ran into a similar issue trying to build xfce4 in a chroot. gtk2
blew up as its dependency chain included python 2.7 and python 3.7
versions of the same package.

I've still got the error log from the build in my jenkins server if
you want complete output.

No need; the problems are understood in theory :-)
That's fine. My xfce4 build was experimental and I'd not really had that
much time to pursue the fallout.
loop:
   make package-install
   # observe failure
   rm -rf /usr/pkgsrc/*/*/work
   goto loop

That's somewhat more difficult to do when you aren't building packages manually but are instead relying on something like pkg_comp. I'm guessing pbulk does things differently enough not to fall down this hole. I might have a quick stab at making the dependency package-install step add a clean as well. If I could find a simple way to combine libkver with pbulk I'd have switched away from pkg_comp by now.

Mike