Re: Protocol for requesting updates to packages?

On Mon, May 06, 2019 at 02:55:55PM +0000, Christopher Pinon wrote:
> Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Christopher Pinon <cjpinon%secondfloor.xyz@localhost> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I wanted to ask what the protocol is for requesting updates to packages
> > > in pkgsrc:
> > >
> > > - In the case of a specific maintainer, is it better to write to them or
> > >   is it better to write to this list?
> > >
> > > - In case the maintainer is pkgsrc-users, I guess that one can make a
> > >   request on this list?
> > >
> > > My present request would concern mail/milter-greylist , which is at
> > > v4.6.2 upstream (from 2016; see
> > > http://hcpnet.free.fr/milter-greylist/#downloads ) but at v4.4.3 (from
> > > 2013) in pkgsrc.
> > >
> > > (I'm using pkgsrc on NetBSD.)
> >
> > One can make a request either way; MAINTAINER first is probably good.
> >
> > But, there's work to be done, which is to prepare the update, and if you
> > want to volunteer to prepare an update in wip, that will definitely move
> > things along.
>
> Indeed, I should probably look into wip. (I always imagined that I would
> have to test a package on all supported platforms, which would be way
> beyond my possibilities. :-D )

Having a real user saying it works for their use-case on a single
platform is totally fine.

We wouldn't be able to make much progress if it was required to test on
all platforms. instead we have a separate branch for -current and
-stable for people who want to avoid the occasional breakage.