Re: Two pkcsrc installations in parallel?

On Apr 26, 2019, at 1:54 AM, Thomas Lazar <ibn%razal.de@localhost> wrote:

Hi there.

I wanted to ask if it is possible to have two pkgsrc installations running in parallel?

My problem is that I have an older netbsd running with a very outdated pkgsrc version. I didn't really keep current with that one and I know some things like the qmail pkg changed quite a bit so I'm kinda afraid to just like "update" the packages.

My idea was to have another new pkgsrc installation in parallel and reproduce my setup from there then kinda just switch over.

I don't really think that it's possible. Just thinking on how qmail needs it's stuff to kinda be in /var/qmail and sumsuch.

Best regards
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

You can if you build the packages yourself. The simplest way that comes to mind is to bootstrap[1] using a new prefix.

  cd /usr/pkgsrc/bootstrap

  ./bootstrap —prefix=/opt/pkg

Then when you build other packages, make sure to use the bmake from that prefix (/opt/pkg/bin/bmake)

This *can* get confusing to keep track of however especially if you accidentally use “/usr/bin/make" instead of “/opt/pkg/bin/bmake”

[1] https://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/platforms.html#bootstrapping-pkgsrc

Best of luck!
Travis