Re: Two pkcsrc installations in parallel?

On 2019-04-25 12:54, Thomas Lazar wrote:
Hi there.

I wanted to ask if it is possible to have two pkgsrc installations running in parallel?

My problem is that I have an older netbsd running with a very outdated pkgsrc version. I didn't really keep current with that one and I know some things like the qmail pkg changed quite a bit so I'm kinda afraid to just like "update" the packages.

My idea was to have another new pkgsrc installation in parallel and reproduce my setup from there then kinda just switch over.

I don't really think that it's possible. Just thinking on how qmail needs it's stuff to kinda be in /var/qmail and sumsuch.

Best regards
Thomas
I do this regularly on CentOS and NetBSD, mainly installing quarterly snapshots for long-term scientific studies that need the same version of a package throughout.

The auto-pkgsrc-setup script at http://netbsd.org/~bacon/ will help you easily create as many additional trees as you like.

It also wraps bmake in a script that verifies you're running from the correct tree.?? The bmake binary has some hard-coded paths in it, so you cannot use bmake from a different tree, or you'll mess up your pkg database.

Regards,

?????? JB