Re: Is pkgsrc on an ageing/obsolete Linux distro a good idea?

Hello Ottavio,

On 19.04.19 22:39, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> I fiddled with pkgsrc on Linux a couple of years ago, but I had to
> give up because I didn't have much time and I wanted an usable system
> to start using right away.
>
> That "usable system" was Linux Mint Debian Edition v2 (Mate) which now
> is almost obsolete. I have a few packages that I'd like to install but
> they are not being maintained for Debian Jessie.
>
> Rather than making a new clean install with a new distro that might or
> might not work with my old-ish Thinkpad, I was thinking of giving
> pkgsrc another go.
>
> I was only wondering: at one point I will have obsolete libraries,
> kernel modules, firmware, etc. Would that give any trouble to the
> pkgsrc subsystem on my installation?

I'm using pkgsrc to keep old Linux (and MacOS X) installations running
with modern binaries. These are Linux systems that have a customized
kernel for the hardware where it is very hard or impossible to get a
modern distro running.

Most, but not all pkgsrc packages will compile on an old Linux. At some
point you might need to compile a new libc yourself.

On a Thinkpad, it should not be a big issue to run a modern Distro. I
have Slackware running on a Thinkpad T20, Void-Linux on an Thinkpad X41
and Debian 10 (unstable) on an Thinkpad X40.

On an Thinkpad, it not before from before 2000, I would recommend
installing a Distro that still supports the i386 architecture
(Slackware, Void and Debian do, as do others). Alternatives are OpenBSD
and NetBSD. I have OpenBSD 6.5 running on an Thinkpad 600.

Greetings

Carsten