Re: Octave MESSAGE

On 2019-03-29 12:13, Greg Troxel wrote:
Jason Bacon <outpaddling%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:
I generally am opposed to the notion of MESSAGE.  With package managers
and dependencies, I don't think people see them, and almost all of it
should be in regular documentation in /usr/pkg/share/doc/PKGNAME or
similar.
You're probably right that they're mostly ignored, but I myself have learned to pay attention to them and I'm sure others have as well. As long as they exist, I would argue that we should use them to educate users, especially about key pitfalls.  A agree that regular docs should be well maintained and promoted as well, although I'm not sure users pay any more attention to them than they do to MESSAGE.

I think people do tend to see MESSAGEs from leaf packages like octave.  Dependency package MESSAGEs are more likely to be missed since they scroll off the screen before the install is done.
I don't see this as about octave, or any particular package like that,
but more broadly about the notion of setting up a server that is
intended to display on remote systems.   But I see where you are coming
from that only a few X programs behave this way.

If the font dependency could be added in such a way that it isn't vast,
some normal font is picked, and it is satisfied by native X11 when
native is selected, then that seems like a good approach.

True it is about setting up headless servers with X11 programs in general.  The question is how to help the end user as much as possible, where it's easy for us.  My end users are insanely busy scientists who really appreciate being able to install a program and have it just work, or being told exactly what to do if there is another step involved.  In some cases I install software for them and in other cases they might do it themselves (e.g. collaborators in other places with limited IT support).

In the latter case, if they run

pkgin install octave

or

pkgin install emacs

then I would want it to either work out-of-the-box or leave a warning on their terminal that they may need to install some fonts. Otherwise, they're going to have a hard time figuring out what the problem is, since they tend to have very limited IT skills.

Adding some text to MESSAGE in packages they're likely to install is one easy way for us to make their lives easier, even if only a fraction of them pay attention to it.  Good PR for pkgsrc...

Cheers,

    JB