Re: lang/python27 fails to install on Fedora 29

* David H. Gutteridge <david%gutteridge.ca@localhost> [2019-02-22 00:57 -0500]:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019, at 22:09:18 -0500, David J. Weller-Fahy wrote:
Is there a better way to determine situations where neither nis.so
nor nis_failed.so should be built? Or, if not, is there a way to
identify a system as "Fedora", rather than simply "redhat"
(OS_VARIANT contents on my Fedora system), and thus check for that?

Suggestions and answers welcome - even just pointers on where to look
would be helpful.

I ran into this as well, but hadn't got around to doing anything about
it (beyond temporarily hacking the package to get it to build). It's
ultimately not a question of identifying a particular distro, it's a
matter of determining which glibc version is in use, which, I believe,
isn't a simple thing to do. Recent versions of glibc dropped support
for what Python depends on in this context.

Ok, so python can no longer reliably detect a particular feature in
glibc, which not all systems have. That's good to know, thanks.

Fedora does still build and install nis in their Python 2.7 package;
they use a different means of exposing the necessary files to do so.
This subject in general is discussed in more than one Python bug
report:

https://bugs.python.org/issue32007
https://bugs.python.org/issue32521

Fedora's change set is here:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python2/c/3056bfd92a4269ad8f9b57cab05af3125e87ca8c?branch=master

After reading through all of these it seems like Fedora took the
positition that removing the options from the prebuilt packages was the
right thing to do. I also have been thinking about this from the user's
perspective, and thought adding an option might be the least destructive
option: something that would only take effect when activated by the
user, but would indicate to the package how to handle nis (omit entirely
or include per existing logic).

Do you think that would be a reasonable solution to this issue? It
doesn't solve the problem, but I'm not sure I know how to solve it in an
automated way.

Regards,
 -dave