Re: infer GCC_REQD from USE_LANGUAGES

Edgar Fuß <ef%math.uni-bonn.de@localhost> writes:

>> Seems to me that pkgsrc should know what GCC version is required for a
>> declared language (so c++14 should imply a minimum GCC_REQD).
> Yes.
>
> I proposed a patch for that, but after endless discussions, people couldn't
> agree on the details.

The problem is that setting GCC_REQD based on language leads us down a
path of using many gcc versions to build things, and that is unsound
because they do not preserve ABI compat.

We are now open-coding this, which I think is work, but many packages
seem to work even if the approach is unsound.

> See https://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/gcc/ for gdt@'s heroic attempts to
> summarize the state of affairs and various discussion threads.

Thanks.  It's a new genre: geek tragedy.