trouble packaging guile bindings for SQLite3

Hi *,

I hope I catched the right list. As a dependency for another application,
I'm currently packaging guile-sqlite3. As no other package system runs
into problems and I'm still in the orientation phase for pkgsrc style,
I'm trying to figure out if the problems are with upstream or myself.

The problem I'm hitting is with actually detecting what's SQLITE_LIBS
in ./configure --help  and '$SQLITE_LIBDIR' in the configure.ac

with no CONFIGURE_ENV+= SQLITE_LIBS=${BUILDLIB_PREFIX.sqlite} or similar,
this is what happens:

configure: checking for guile 2.2
configure: found guile 2.2
checking for guile-2.2... no
checking for guile2.2... no
checking for guile-2... no
checking for guile2... no
checking for guile... /usr/work/wip/guile-sqlite3/work/.buildlink/bin/guile
checking for Guile version >= 2.2... 2.2.4
checking for guild... /usr/work/wip/guile-sqlite3/work/.buildlink/bin/guild
checking for guile-config... /usr/work/wip/guile-sqlite3/work/.buildlink/bin/guile-config
checking for SQLITE... yes
checking whether '/libsqlite3' is usable... no
configure: error: failed to load '/libsqlite3'
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/wip/guile-sqlite3

Now this should get the libdir:
SQLITE_LIBDIR="`"$PKG_CONFIG" sqlite3 --variable libdir`"
AC_SUBST([SQLITE_LIBDIR])

SQLITE_LIBDIR is empty afterwards.

it seems to me as if this requires patching of the autoconfigure file,
or is there any other way to handle this?