Re: Conceptual talk about distributed pbulk on exotic port

(no disagreement with Jonathan's advice)

Agreed that true full cross compiling doesn't work in general.  Note
that part of the issue is things wrong in pkgsrc, and part of it is that
many upstream programs do not crossbuild like they should.  I remember
someone going on rampage in the late 90s to enable compiling for sun2 on
sparc and fixing up a lot of packges.

It would be a useful contribution to figure out distcc and cross in a
general way.  I have been heading to this for a while and not gotten to
it.  Basically, I want to do this such that:

  distcc uses ssh, rather than distccd and
  cleartext/no-auth/no-authentication-of-results.  (Note that ssh with
  ControlMaster and a background connection is very fast.)

  the build host can have sevaral compilers, for various OS/version/cpu,
  and is able to switch to the right complier based on something set by
  the client or looked up by address.

It may be that running a cross compiler as distcc is faster than running
a native compiler under qemu.  Of cousre, you still need native cycles
for many things, so one native and many cross distcc is surely not
optimal.