xscreensaver regressions?

After updating xscreensaver, a number of display hacks no-longer work,
claiming "no image loading support".  Most of these then segfault.  Of
the few image-oriented hacks that do work, they don't load any images--not
even the default XScreenSaver logo image but instead show a grey
checkerboard background (like unpopulated image canvas in 'gimp').

Also, a warning from libglade that libgnome could not be found.
I know it was built/rebuilt as part of one or another packages, most
likely something in xfce4, but nothing I've found actually depends on
it, either in 'pkg_info -Q REQUIRES foo' or 'ldd foo'.

Anyone else seeing something like this?

Display hacks failing are:

Core files:

atlantis.core
atunnel.core
blocktube.core
cage.core
dymaxionmap.core
flyingtoasters.core
glmatrix.core
glplanet.core
lament.core
maze3d.core
pacman.core
peepers.core
sballs.core
skytentacles.core
stairs.core
timetunnel.core
winduprobot.core
xscreensaver-get.core

xscreensaver-demo STDERR output:

$ xscreensaver-demo

(xscreensaver-demo:599): libglade-WARNING **: 15:12:23.358: Could not load support for `gnome': Shared object "libgnome.so" not found
dcop: not found

apple2: no image loading support!

X error in apple2:
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  73 (X_GetImage)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  45

atlantis: no image loading support!
atunnel: no image loading support!
blocktube: no image loading support!
bsod: no image loading support!

X error in bsod:
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  73 (X_GetImage)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  54

cage: no image loading support!
dymaxionmap: no image loading support!
flyingtoasters: no image loading support!
glmatrix: no image loading support!
glplanet: no image loading support!
lament: no image loading support!
maze: no image loading support!

X error in maze:
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  53

maze3d: no image loading support!
noseguy: no image loading support!
noseguy: Can't load nose images
pacman: no image loading support!
peepers: no image loading support!
phosphor: no image loading support!

X error in phosphor:
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  73 (X_GetImage)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  79

sballs: no image loading support!
skytentacles: no image loading support!
stairs: no image loading support!
timetunnel: no image loading support!
winduprobot: no image loading support!
xanalogtv: no image loading support!

X error in xanalogtv:
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  73 (X_GetImage)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  30