x11 clashes of base and pkg [Was Re: Confusing versioning scheme of freetyp2?]

On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 05:40:09PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> What's happening here, with version labels being so different?

This answers that libtool version is different from release
https://fossies.org/linux/freetype/docs/VERSIONS.TXT

So this question is answered. The table implies that the pkgsrc version is
up to date.

Co-existence of x11 base with pkg is really causing a lot of package
builds to fail. The mk.conf setting of PREFER.*  pkgsrc hasn't solved the
issue for me.

I am not too keen to use pkg x11. I feel if NetBSD has taken pains to put
x11 in the base, it should rather work smoothly with pkg, allowing
overriding specific tools wherever base version gets older.

X11 being a client-server, I don't think server build should have such a
complex entanglement with the client builds. (Or is it too utopian to
think so?)

If that's (pkg x11) the _only_ option left, I'll switch, but not quite
happy about having to do so.

Mayuresh.