pkgtools/pkgin build fails because it can't find libfetch

Trying to build pkgtools/pkgin, first as part of pkg_rolling-replace, subsequently separately from its own directory, failed because it failed to find libfetch or library containing fetchGetURL.

checking for strlcpy in -lnbcompat... yes
checking for library containing fetchGetURL... no
configure: error: libfetch not found.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /BETA1/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkgin
*** Error code 1

I looked, and saw I had libfetch (libfetch-2.38) installed from pkgsrc but believe there is also a fetch and libfetch in the base system.

I looked in /usr/lib , also /usr/pkg/lib .

Base system is NetBSD-current i386, just less than two days updated (8.99.14).

uname -a shows

NetBSD amelia2 8.99.14 NetBSD 8.99.14 (NetBSD-current i386 with DRMKMS.nb899-20180502) #0: Wed May  2 15:03:31 GMT 2018  root@amelia:/BETA1/usr/obj.i386/BETA1/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/BOTHF7 i386

Is my system messed up, or is something missing in libfetch (base system or pkgsrc)?  How would I find what functions (such as fetchGetURL) are present in the library (.so or .a)?

Tom