Re: Problems installing packages on NetBSD-8.0_RC1

Hi,

Robert Nestor wrote:

> Recently installed NetBSD-8.0_RC1 on a system and have run into
> problems trying to configure it with a few of the packages I use.
> Tried the 8.0/8.0_2018Q1 repository but it doesn’t contain some of
> the packages I’m looking for, like xfce4.  Tried using the 8.0_current
> repository, but had the same problem.

If a package is not present in the repository, but is in pkgsrc, it
means it failed to build. Try compiling it manually.

> Are there periodic bulk builds of everything in the stable branches to
> make sure everything in the repository is consistent? If so, do I find
> those thru postings to the pkgsrc-buld mailing list?

Yes, and

http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/reports/2018Q1/NetBSD-8.0-x86_64/

> Also tried installing NetBSD-7.1.2 and it’s associated packages but
> run into similar problems.  Seems like the last version of NetBSD I
> was able to successfully install with the pre-build packages I use
> was 7.0.

There were some problems with 7.1.1 I think, but they were resolved even
before 7.1.2, at least those I have experienced.

> I tried building the packages I want to use.  They run into build
> problems on both the stable and current branches.  On top of this I
> find that some of the pre-built packages that are in the 2018Q1
> repository don’t successfully rebuild from the stable sources,
> example print/enscript.

Please report any errors/failures, and in a more detailed form, like
error messages, warnings, compiler or your whole mk.conf file. And
of course the machine you're doing the compilation.

> Do the stable repositories get updated?

They do.

> Is that what I should focus on and report build errors I’m seeing
> via PRs?

Focus on what you want to, but please report.

> Or is only the current repository getting love and attention for
> updates?

It's not.

Cheers

P.S. Please cut your lines at around 60-72 chars.

--
caóc