Re: make clean vs find work dir and delete

* On 2018-05-01 at 08:59 BST, Mayuresh wrote:

> If I wish to clean pkgsrc area, typically to conserve disk space, I run
> something like this.
>
> # find /usr/pkgsrc -type d -name work -exec rm -rf {} \;
>
> Instead if I do "make clean" in /usr/pkgsrc, which sounds more appropriate
> method, it takes much longer.
>
> I am curious what pkgsrc users would do for above scenario. Or is there
> any way to achieve the result faster.

There's no difference in the end product between the two methods,
'make clean' obviously takes a lot longer as it needs to parse every
package and its recursive dependencies and attempt to remove their
work area even if it doesn't exist.

The simplest method is to set WRKOBJDIR=/var/tmp/pkgsrc or something
and then just rm -rf /var/tmp/pkgsrc when you want to cleanup.  This
has additional benefits if you put WRKOBJDIR in a ramdisk.