Re: Target to install OR replace?

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> The trouble is, on an old laptop with some 2400 compiled and installed
> packages over the years, pkg_rolling-replace can take weeks... and end up
> with several tens or hundreds of packages, which need to be done manually
> anyway. In these circumstances I often break the normal and otherwise right
> pkgsrc rules and use 'make replace', after making sure that at least the
> shared libraries which are to be used by the replaced package are available.
> Of course this breaks things from time to time, but not always; if I find
> myself in tight spot, I usually can downgrade a few packages and carry on
> for a while, or schedule a massive rebuild of the pkgsrc packages in use.

Exactly. And this is the situation where
DEPENDS_TARGET=package-install-replace would help. If you try to
compile, say, firefox but there is a new Gtk version available, it
would build it and replace the installed version. And if there is a
new dependency, it would install it instead of stopping with no error
(which you will get by setting DEPENDS_TARGET=replace).