Re: AUTO_MKDIRS

On 08.01.2018 08:48, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 04:20:13PM -0800, Alistair Crooks wrote:
>> Everything should be AUTO_MKDIRS - the directories are recoverable
>> from the PLIST fairly easily, and reproducing them in 2 places leads
>> to issues and problems.
>
> Except when it doesn't work. Like freeciv-manual just showed. I'm with
> Kamil here -- I do prefer a reliable method, especially if we talk about
> packages that need one or two extra directories.
>
> Joerg

This breaks the approach of keeping PLIST as a sanity check.

If the layout changes there are leftover directories generated and/or
there is need to manually create missing directories (either in PLIST or
pre-install:).

In an ideal world there would be no need for PLIST, in a less perfect
one AUTO_MKDIRS would be sufficient. I find that AUTO_MKDIRS is not
successful for the real-case applications because of extra effort making
them buildable on layout changes.

Personally I don't feel confident with packages without PLIST
sanity-check and I omit them.