Re: Conventions/policy regarding packages in pkgsrc-wip that use wip/mk/git-package.mk

Aleksej Lebedev <root%zta.lk@localhost> writes:

> Hello, everyone!
>
> I just noticed many packages in wip that end on -git.
> They all use wip/mk/git-package.mk which seems to allow fetching
> sources directly from git.

There are two separate things that git can mean.  One is that the
upstream is hosted in git, which shouldn't affect the name.  The other
is that the package is packaging an unreleased version of the package
and is expected to change semi-erratically.  The point is not really
git, but "code from a VCS that does not have releases".  Probably we
should have some standard suffix to mean this, but the Linux world uses
-devel to mean "the package parts you need to build against", and -dev
isn't different enough.  So for now we have a mix of -svn and -git.

> This seems great for development, but I'm not sure if it gives any
> advantage for "stable" packages.
> What usually happens when these packages get imported to the main
> pkgsrc repo?

Upstreams should make releases, available as tarballs, and we should
package those releases.

When they don't have releases, there's a question as to whether we
should have packages in main pkgsrc at all.

If they make releases, but there aren't tarballs, then there's some
kludginess to get a tarball out of some git hosting service where we are
left hoping the checksums won't change.  Or someone makes one and puts
in on ftp.netbsd.org.

> Is it OK to have both versions of a package, one that uses
> git-package.mk and one that fetches a tarball?

Yes, but they are for different purposes.  Generally there should be a
package for the most recent stable release.  Then, there can also be a
package for the head of development.   The first kind is far more
appropriate for moving to pkgsrc proper.

> I happen to submit wip/toxcore (with fixed version 0.1.11) before
> realizing what wip/toxcore-git package is.

That's fine, I think.

pkgsrc proper has some support for fetching tarballs from git.  Perhaps
some of what's in wip for that should be migrated.  There is resistance,
quite reasonably, to having other than releases in pkgsrc.  But as more
and more projects think its ok to just have a branch in git, that's
becoming less tenable.