Re: Wine AMD64 vs i386

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017, maya%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
Report bugs for the PAE problem.

I filed PR #51053 last year. The devs couldn't reproduce. That's weird because since it *always* happens to me (100% reproducable and on all machines I try it on). I can't find a single x86 machine with more than 4GB that *can* run a PAE 7.x kernel. I've tested on four machines. All four don't even get past booting. It's not an 8GB alignment issue, either. It happens on a machine with 12GB same as a machine with 16GB.

What could I do to move it forward? I've tried creating a kernel will full debug symbols but that just hangs, too. I never get to the kernel debugger. Should I create a serial + debug kernel and try it via serial to see if I can get more info ? What would generate enough interest that an appropriately skilled dev can fix it? I'm a C coder myself and have some skills on my own, but I'm not a NetBSD kernel developer, and I don't know the dynamics of kernel debugging beyond the basic backtrace. I am willing to do work to help, though, if someone can just point me in the right direction.

this post doesn't contain enough information.

Sorry. I didn't intend for it to be a full bug report. I intended to say "Anyone ran into this and have a fix yet?" more or less.

 Run i386 userland with amd64 kernel. use -current.

I assume you mean for running wine32. Thanks! I'll try that.