Re: Fwd: Re: Bootstrapping pkgsrc 2017Q3 on HP-UX 11i

Does HP-UX have a decent compiler suite of its own?  You might try that instead of GCC.

If you use GCC, I recommend a well-tested build of 4.8 or 4.9. Anything older won't support C++11 and I've hit some issues using GCC 5 as a "base" compiler due to changes in default behavior. I've also had issues with caveman installs of GCC as a base.

You probably should not need gfortran at bootstrap time.  Pkgsrc may be able to build it's own.

If you have a compiler capable of building the GCC packages, you could add HP-UX alongside Linux in this check at the end of the script, so it uses the pkgsrc GCC for everything except GCC itself.

if [ `uname` = Linux ]; then
    cat << EOM >> $mk_conf

.if empty(PKGPATH:Mlang/gcc48) && \\

[snip]