Re: GnuPG 2.0 and 2.2 incompatibilities

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

> I'm not sure whether this affects anyone else, but as the GnuPG
> developers have, in their infinite wisdom, made the gpg-agent program
> incompatible between 2.0 and 2.2, it is no longer possible to use the
> agent to sign packages across multiple branches since 2017Q3.

Another consequence of the interface change is that the gpg-agent in 2.2
is no longer compatible with gpg 1.4.

Previously people who had 1.4 and 2.0 installed (and were using the
agent from 2.0) were in a state where both "gpg" and "gpg2" were
working.  After upgrading to 2.2, "gpg" would work, but without the
agent.  After deleting 1.4, some programs looking for "gpg" would fail,
until told to switch to gpg2.

> To work around this I have imported a gnupg20 package into
> pkgsrc-joyent based on the last 2.0.30 version we had in pkgsrc, with
> a few minor cleanups:
>
>   https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc-joyent/tree/master/gnupg20
>
> If anyone else is affected by this, let me know and we can discuss
> bringing this back into mainline pkgsrc.

I don't mind at all if you do that (and you figure out how to deal with
dirmngr, but if gnupg20 does only pgp and not s/mime, maybe that can be
skipped).

After all these years, I would like to see us move in general to gnupg
2.2 being the only version, and get everything that tries to use gnupg
1.4 moved over.  But, I'm not sure if there are real users of gnupg 1.4,
so I am hesitant to just drop it.

So maybe we want to patch gnupg 1.4 to install gnupg as gpg1 etc., and
drop the "--enable-gpg-is-gpg2" from gnupg2.   But maybe that's not
worth it, and letting it conflict is fine.

So, a proposal:

  remove --enable-gpg-is-gpg2 from gnupg2

  Accept that gnupg will not install alongside gnupg2.  If that upsets
  people see about patching the install somehow.

  change every package that depends on gnupg to gnupg2.  Consider that
  package broken if that fails, and bug upstream and/or fix it.