Re: pkgin for sparc

Hi,
Thanks Greg (and David) for all the hints. I was used to simply create my package by running "make package" but distcc and bulk build are pretty interesting ! I'll try to keep you updated if I come with something interesting but don't expect result soon.

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 1:22 PM, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
On 17 August 2017 at 17:52, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Julien Savard <juliensavard17%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > i started to use pkgin on my old sparcstation5. I use the default netbsd
> > repo :
> >
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/sparc/7.0/All/
>
> That is the best link for now, but it's packages from 2016Q3.
>
> > Thing is, when I compare with, for instance sparc64 architecture, there is
> > a lot less package :
> >
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/sparc64/7.0/All/
> >
> > It make 462 packages for sparc vs 16325 packages for sparc64. ( FYI amd64
> > has 18143 packages ).
>
> So that's pretty impressive for sparc64.
>
> > Out of curiosity, it is the right place to ask why ?
> > Why the huge gap between the number of package for this architecture ?
>
> Yes.  Because except for i386/amd64 and perhaps arm, NetBSD package
> builds are done on a volunteer basis by NetBSD developers with their own
> hardware.  (As opposed to i386/amd64, where they are done by volunteers
> on TNF hardware).  Many of us have sparcs (non64) in our basements but
> not so many of us have them powered on right now.

As a small aside, NetBSD/sparc runs on sparc64 hardware with a 64 bit
kernel and 32 bit userland, so the fastest NetBSD/sparc package
building box is probably an UltraSparc :)

David