Re: non-privileged package builds and embedded paths

* On 2017-08-18 at 06:39 BST, Malcolm Herbert wrote:

> I've brought up a shiny new vagrant host to build some pkgsrc binaries
> in to deploy into a SUSE Linux environment as my non-privileged user,
> rather than root.
>
> although I'm principally interested in just bmake and mtree binaries[1],
> I note that there are paths in each of these that reference (eg)
> /home/vagrant/pkg/lib which is obviously not going to help me much in the
> rest of my fleet as that's not my home directory
>
> how should this be solved? is there a method for referring to these via
> the current content of $HOME (ie $HOME/pkg/lib) or is that happening too
> late in the dynamic linking process when I get to the point of running
> them?

There's no way to avoid your primary LOCALBASE being embedded
everywhere.  Not everything will obey $HOME or other environment
variables (e.g. rpaths) so there's no way to avoid this.

What you could do is choose e.g. /var/tmp/pkg as your unprivileged
prefix, that way it should work across machines yet still not require
root privileges.