Re: rustc panic

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
Do you want a working web browser or not?  Apparently not.

Is XULrunner or Firefox or something now tied to rustc ? I'm not being trite, I'm really asking. Can it not be stubbed out ? Yes, I totally want a working browser, but forcing folks to use/learn Rust in the bargain seems a bit draconian/silly/ill-advised. Maybe that's just my anachronistic perspective (and maybe Google and Mozilla.org don't give a damn, either, I get that).

Then again, I've never credited web-browsers as being the programmer's high art, either. They seem to have a knack for shooting other people's feet off, anyway, historically speaking.

I'm not trying to bag on Rust. I'm just wondering if this weird gene-drive for Rust really what's going on here. Ie... people are trying to wedge in new language requirements to existing software where it really doesn't seem to be a good fit and it darn sure wasn't there before.

-Swift