Re: heads up: netbsd and building with lang/gcc* packages

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 03:42:32PM -0500, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> I'm probably missing something basic, but what prevents you from running
> into the same problem with a future release of NetBSD (e.g., a future
> NetBSD that includes libstdc++.so.8)?

It was a pretty unusual thing for netbsd to major bump third party
libraries and probably won't be done again (and not too hard to deal
with if it happened).

the bigger headache will be if libstdc++ itself major bumps, then the
libraries will be actually incompatible.
I think that people would be able to get pretty far with just using
the pre-major bump versions in a realistic scenario. we'll probably
recommend people build all their packages with the new version once it's
no longer possible.