Re: fuse-encfs compilation error in pkgsrc-stable

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 05:55:03PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
>> Trying to build filesystems/fuse-encfs on NetBSD 8.0 BETA i386 pkgsrc-2017Q1.
>>
>> Get the following errors:
>
> Looks like the pkgsrc version 1.2 is quite old against current 1.9.1.

Long ago I tried to update it and found that I needed a lot of patches,
and didn't get it working enough to commit.

> May be it's not used so much in NetBSD world. Are there alternatives
> providing some of the benefits of encfs such as - can confine encryption
> to directory level, no dedicated device needed?

I am not aware of any, really.  There is cfs, but it's beyond ancient.

> If not, I'd like to try building 1.9.1 and submit patches, with some help
> from the list.

That would be great.  I'd recommend putting it in wip, because then
others can make improvements and it's genereally easier.  (Send your ssh
pubkey to wiz%netbsd.org@localhost if you don't have access already.)

> 1. The package is shifted from sourceforge to git. How to adopt that
> in pkgsrc.

Lots of packages do that.  Go into e.g. devel and "egrep github
*/Makefile" and start reading to find an example that matches the
situation.

Of course, it's a bug if the upstream package doesn't have a release
tarball that can be downloaded by URL without you having to do special
things for github, but that's fairly common these days (with github).

> 2. The package does not have a configure script. The INSTALL file has
> following instructions. How to adopt them in pkgsrc:
>
>     mkdir build
>     cd build
>     cmake ..
>     make

There are a lot packages that use cmake.  It may be as simple as
USE_TOOLS+=	cmake
USE_CMAKE=	YES