Re: devel/autogen build failure

[my apologies to kre@. I failed to CC the list when I replied to him]

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 04:35:44 +0700 Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> wrote:

>     Date:        Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:07:15 -0500
>     From:        "Ian D. Leroux" <idleroux%fastmail.fm@localhost>
>
>   | The immediate problem is in the bash script [...]
>   | The first copy seems to come from the cd command.
>
> From bash(1) ...
>
> 	      If a non-empty
>               directory name from CDPATH is used, or if - is the first
>               argument, and the directory change is successful, the
> absolute pathname of the new working directory is written to the
> standard output.
>
> So, what is $builddir, and what is $CDPATH ?  Which version os bash is
> being used?   (And why is basb being used at all, what in the script
> needs it, or is this not on NetBSD?)

$builddir starts out simply as "config".

$CDPATH is ".:/home/idleroux:/build"
I changed that recently (for my interactive shell), and I'd forgotten
that the setting would leak through to the shells run during builds. So
that's the proximate cause of the problem.  I could avoid it by
building packages in a chroot, or as a user with a
stripped-down .profile.  I find it interesting, though, that every
other cd command in the script is redirected to /dev/null (e.g.
srcdir=`cd $srcdir >/dev/null && pwd`), so this looks like an oversight
upstream.

The bash part is a red herring (in that the same problem shows up if I
run the script with /bin/sh), but for the record the script is set to
run under CONFIG_SHELL (the top line of mk-shdefs.in is
'#! @CONFIG_SHELL@') and the package Makefile sets
CONFIG_SHELL=   ${TOOLS_PATH.bash}
One would have to ask the maintainer to find out why.  This particular
script runs fine under /bin/sh, but perhaps there are other things that
need CONFIG_SHELL to be bash?

--
IDL