Re: Can anybody come with a creative solution to the "/bin/sh: bad interpreter" problem?

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
This will almost certainly require it to be a separate platform, there are just too many hardcoded assumptions about paths in mk/platform/Linux.mk and mk/tools/tools.Linux.mk.

You probably already thought of this, but perhaps a link farm or use of 'env' to find the shell works better?

/bin/sh being useless, but it may be that usage has crept back in as fewer, if any, people are using Solaris 9 or older.

Not to be trite, but I work at a company that supports older Unix platforms among other things. We have dozens of clients using Solaris 8 (in production on real hardware doing real work). I take probably 1-2 calls a week for it, still. Just FYI. It lives and it's still fairly common.

Now, when it comes to Solaris 9, I'm not sure anyone ever wanted it in the first place. I never really saw it adopted by anyone and we have only one client who uses it.

Just as a mostly unrelated side note, if I could backport ZFS to Solaris 8, you'd have one heckuva OS. No horrible SMF systemd-workalike to deal with and no need to dork with the sub-par SDS features in Solaris 8.

Solaris 10 would have been great without SMF. Solaris 11, uhh, no comment.

Android seems pretty odious to me. It'd be like trying to get pkgsrc working under MS Windows Subsystem for Linux. I'm sure someone will try, and I don't wish you any ill, but daaaaamn, I'm glad that's not my job.

It takes all kinds to make a world, though. Good luck.

-Swift