Re: Firefox stability?

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017, Ryo ONODERA wrote:

> From: Greg Oster <oster%netbsd.org@localhost>, Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:31:07 -0600
>
> > On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 14:33:44 -0600 (CST)

> >> I have an mp3 recording of OpenBSD developers describing "cups"
> >> thusly:
> >>
> >>   "You mean that thing that breaks printing completely?"
> >>
> >> ;)
> >
> > So on this same system.... I did a "pkg_delete cups".... and now CTRL-p
> > pops up the print dialog box as expected...  Stop firefox, "pkg_add
> > cups".  Start firefox.  CTRL-p hangs.  Stop firefox.  "pkg_delete
> > cups".  Start firefox.  Ctrl-p works.
> >
> > Yep.. it's cups...
>
> It is reproduced on my environment.
>
> The recent print/cups freezes localc from misc/libreoffice too.
> I had disabled print/cups dependency in misc/libreoffice as workaround.

I typically have "PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=-cups" (among other things)
although some packages don't honor this option.

I had thought "lang/openjdk8" was such a cups-requiring package.  It
builds/installs cups when it is being built, but doesn't register a
run-time dependency (why it even wants/needs "cups" baffles me).

Checking its as-installed list of dependencies, "cups" is not in its
"Requires:" list.

That explains why "cups" didn't have any entries in it's "Required-by:"
list.  I think it got installed on my workstation likely as a side-effect
of my automated update with the binary packages produced by the build
host and previous self-hosting of package builds/installs on the
workstation itself.

So for the workstation, simply remove cups.  Possibly also hunt down
other "dead wood" packages--those with empty "Required-by:" lists that
were not user-requested packages.