Re: Intermittent pbulk build fail of editors/vim-share

On 11/17, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 05:38:47PM -0600, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> > I initially thought to add the objects target as a dependency of the .o
> > targets, and change the mkdir to add a -p option since the directory can
> > already exist:
>
> That's fine if there aren't too many files to change. If you have a
> variable with the objects, you can also just do:
>   ${OBJS}: objects
>
> > But I'm not sure this is correct, and I don't know that the -p option to
> > mkdir is considered portable.
>
> It is.
>
> Joerg

Just reporting back that this issue has been fixed in upstream.

I reported the issue upstream and submitted a pull request at

  https://github.com/vim/vim/pull/1259

It turns out that adding a dependency on the objects directory caused
make to build all the object files every time (presumably because the
last modified time of the objects directory kept getting updated when
the object files were created in it).  GitHub user xaizek suggested an
idiom used by Automake which is to use DIR/.dirstamp for a dependency on
directory DIR.  This worked.

A fix was committed upstream in patch 8.0.0117 (Git
327054df45faf5390e7392708f58eb49e9f323d4) and patch 8.0.0129 (Git
0df3c7f2a05c2a99f2fb2747ae46bd6594052997).

Regards,

Lewis