Re: security/gnupg2 MESSAGE needed? (or fix)

coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost writes:

> Hi, to generate key with this successfully I needed to write:
>  pinentry-program /usr/pkg/bin/pinentry
> in ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
>
> Without this, it was failing to generate a key.
> It may be good to write this in MESSAGE, if it cannot be made to respect
> PATH.

(I realize that your suggestion is quite reasonable given how MESSAGE is
used now, and that there is a real docuemntation problem.  My comments
are really about MESSAGE in general.)

Another thing about MESSAGE and documentation is that MESSAGE is
intended for the person installing a package, which is the sysadmin of a
computer, not a user.  I realize it's often the same person.  But if
one person installs gnupg and several use it, that situation points out
why MESSAGE isn't the right place for user-facing documentation.

In this case, I wonder why pinentry-program doesn't have a default
value, and why the gpg2(1) man page doesn't explain.   I did find in the
info file that the default is installation dependent.  I'd be happy to
review and probably apply a patch to fix the default.