New "multimedia/gmplayer" vs. workaround for older release?

In this commit:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2015/11/21/msg132613.html

"multimedia/gmplayer" is updated to v1.2.  Prior to that, pkg/49689 was
filed when the various "skin" distfiles were updated out from under the
previously-available package until the above commit.

Unfortunately a number of the newer "skin" distfiles used features not
available in the then-available release of "gmplayer".  A workaround
was implemented during the install phase to unpack the skin archives,
tweak them to be less hostile and re-pack them.

With the aforementioned update of "gmplayer", it appears to now implement
the features the newer skin distfiles expect.  It appears that the old
workaround for pkg/49689 is still in place.

Has anyone built and used "gmplayer" from pkgsrc-HEAD yet?  I suspect
the workaround will now prevent some of the skin widgets from operating
as intended.

I'm not presently in a position to try it myself.