Re: Please recommend office package on NetBSD

Mayuresh wrote:
> I am using NetBSD 7.0 i386.
>
> I do not create documents using office software, but have no control over
> people sending those to me. So need a minimal reader for open/MS office
> files.
>
> Am trying to build misc/libreoffice and somewhere gave up due to
> dependencies. (I mean why do I need postgresql for above simple purpose)?
>
> May be there are other users who face above situation and the frustration.
> So curious how they work around this.
>
> Besides trying to compile, I also tried pkgin, though looks like binary
> repo doesn't have it.
>
> Tried libreoffice4-bin, though looks like it's too big a package.
>
> Are there ways, such as increasing more options to cut down functionality
> in libreoffice?
>
> Alternatively is there any other package that will be light and quick to
> install and serve above limited purpose?
>
> Mayuresh

Hi,
After repeatedly failing to build
	/usr/ports/editors/libreoffice
	on uname -r
	FreeBSD lapr.js.berklix.net 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT
	#12182: Mon Oct 19 23:57:08 CEST 2015
	jhs%lapr.js.berklix.net@localhost:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/LAPR.small amd64
& discussing on
	http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-office
I tried making /usr/ports/editors/libreoffice4
& that suprised me by building first time. My binary package is
	73039668 Oct 29 21:06 libreoffice4-4.3.7.txz
So I sympathise with you battling to build the monster
(my last build was:
	73250204 Jun  7 16:45 libreoffice-4.3.7.txz
)

I'm not trying to draw you from Net to Free, I respect Net too, &
really dont want to provoke a flame war, but if you don't get enough
ideas here, the freebsd-office@ forum archive might have ideas if
you browse it.

Who knows, ABIs might be compatible between Free & Net, don't know, not tried,
might be worth a try, would be nice if Free & Net could leverage off
each other to mutual benefit, & not just at source level, not least cos
we also try for ABI compat with Linux too.

PS While writing this I see Swift wrote a good reply too :-)
Good luck.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey,  BSD Linux Unix Sys. Eng. Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply After previous text to preserve context, as in a play script.