Re: Do I need /rc.d/cupsd to run libreoffice4?

Ottavio Caruso <pr0f3ss0r1492%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> On 10 October 2015 at 11:59, Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> wrote:
>> * On 2015-10-10 at 12:01 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>>> I continue to think that 95%+ of our MESSAGE files should be removed :-)
>>> Using an rc script is not special and does not merit shouting at the user.
>>
>> +1.
>
> Thanks.
>
> As pointed out in my other thread, this message is lost when I run:

So it may be that the rc.d hint is not part of MESSAGE.

> bash-4.3$ pkg_info -D cups
> Information for cups-2.0.3nb1:
>
> Install notice:
> $NetBSD: MESSAGE,v 1.10 2008/12/14 17:17:55 ahoka Exp $
>
> You will need to also install print/ghostscript if you wish to
> print to non-Postscript printers.
>
> You may install additional PPD files for other printer models into
> /usr/pkg/share/cups/model.
>
> You may want to backup /etc/printcap before starting CUPS for the first
> time, as the CUPS scheduler may overwrite this file with automatically
> generated content.
>
> Apologies for the duplication, but I think this can be relevant to both threads.

No worries - the discussion is helpful.

I think the real issue is that some of us think that while it's good for
packages to have documentation (in /usr/pkg/share/doc/foo, or man
pages), there's way too much of "this package is special and needs to
push information in the installing user's face".  I see it that pkgsrc
provides a way to install a version of something that's been adjusted to
fit pkgsrc hier(7) norms etc., but that the responsibilty for
documentation rests with the upstreams.