Re: wip push- rebase first

> > Lying about history is bad, iff the history was written already.
> >
> > Nothing wrong with rewriting the present to become neatly organized
> > history.
>
> This is one of my issues with git.   Because someone else pushed
> something before I pushed, with this workflow I now have to do a
> rebase
Which generally is fully automatic, unless the commits you're rebasing
have changesets touching parts of files which were also touched by
whoever pushed before you, in which case you'd get conflicts in every
VCS.

> I have personally found that git rebase to be much more painful than
> the corresponding CVS update and commit.
The only pain with rebase I have every encounteres were when trying
twisted things like rebasing something on top of a different branch,
or rebasing commits that lay around for months or even years.

The typical use case is totally straightforward.

FWIW, I have the NetBSD source in a git repo, and with every update
I'll rebase my local commits on top of the updated trunk.
I have yet to encounter a situation where that did require more
effort than typing ``git rebase''

> I haven't rebased recently, so if it has changed, this might not be
> as bad as I remember.
I don't think it has changed lately.