Re: /bin/pwd defaults (Re: devel/gobject-introspection build can't find 'glib/gmacros.h')

David Holland <dholland-pkgusers%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 01:51:37PM +0000, Chuck Cranor wrote:
>  > > > Can you be more specific?   Don't do what?   Don't use buildlink3?
>  > > > Don't allow symbolic links?  Don't use /bin/pwd on Darwin?
>  > >
>  > > Don't use symlinks in PREFIX OR WRKOBJDIR.
>  >
>  > We should document that pkgsrc limitation.   I can add a note about
>  > PREFIX to README.MacOSX.
>
> I think it is documented, although if so it's obviously not prominent
> enough.
>
>  > It would be nice if bootstrap could check PREFIX for symlinks at pkgsrc
>  > init time (e.g. something along the lines of checkarg_sane_absolute_path).
>
> Yes, that's a good idea.

I agree; more than document it should fail hard.   It's really not
ok for pkgsrc to prohibit symlinks, and I view that as a bug that hasn't
been fixed.

The other issue is that OS X is correct here:

  http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/pwd.html

and NetBSD's pwd is documented as non-conforming (because it defaults to
-P).

So probably we should use -P by default, except on platforms known not
to support it.