Re: php 54, ap-php, TS, NTS problems

Filip Hajny <filip%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

> 1. 5. 2015 v 19:14, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>:
>>
>> It seems like pkgsrc should have the default config for apache (all
>> versions) have an MPM that works with the default config for php and
>> everything else.   I'm unclear on if this should be prefork/no-threads
>> or event/threads, but the current mix seems suboptimal
>
> That’s a question. The better performing threaded event MPM makes
> sense for everything *but* mod_php. Are PHP applications the usage
> case that should drive the default build options in binary packages?

I wasn't trying to make that case.  I was merely finding it broken that
the straightforward combination of default package builds fails, which
doesn't point to any one choice, just the combination.

> PHP and extensions should not default to a threadsafe build, that’s for sure.

That's surprising, given how normal threading is, at least to someone
who isn't that familiar with php.   It would be good to explain the
reason in the makefile.

> On the other hand, most modern tutorials will recommend something like
> Nginx + PHP/FPM anyway...

Sure, but it seems that for low-volume stuff, apache and mod_php isn't
generally thought to be totally broken.
Or if it is, mod_php's DESCR should get a warning.