Re: audio/pulseaudio OS X configure patch

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 09:11:58 -0500
Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> I can appreciate that this makes it work, but I'm trying to understand
> how much of this really belongs in the pulseaudio makefile vs being
> generic mac support.  In theory buildlink arranges includes and libs,
> including the sdpath.
>
> So, I wonder if you know where pulseaudio is going astray - is it
> reaching into the fs explicitly rather than using compile tests?

Yes the PulseAudio configure script sets a default path for an old SDK
without checking if it exists, in configure.ac:

    AC_ARG_WITH(mac-version-min,
        AS_HELP_STRING([--with-mac-version-min=<version>], ...
        mac_version_min=$withval, mac_version_min="10.5")

    AC_ARG_WITH(mac-sysroot,
        AS_HELP_STRING([--with-mac-sysroot=<path>], ...
        mac_sysroot=$withval, mac_sysroot=".../MacOSX10.5.sdk")

The proper solution is to remove the fourth argument of AC_ARG_WITH.
Patching the Makefile seemed like less work at the time but I'll send
a patch for configure.ac in a following message.

> Do you know if the --with-mac-sysroot switch appears in a lot of other
> programs?

I've only seen PulseAudio need these options set explicity.  Other
packages do this automatically based on the host triplet and maybe
SDKROOT if it's set.

> Possibly related, I find that on a 10.9 system, xcrun --show-sdk-version
> shows 10.10, unless I force SDKROOT=macosx10.9 in the environment.  That
> just feels like a mac bug.

Yes xcrun will depend on SDKROOT unless an --sdk option is given.

I have SDKROOT set in mk.conf.  Maybe the bootstrap script could set
it automatically, with the output of  xcodebuild -sdk -version.