Re: Anyone maintaining obsoleted freedesktop and Gnome2 packages?

"OBATA Akio" <obata%lins.jp@localhost> writes:

> I'm trying to create MATE packages in pkgsrc-wip.

I have been watching your commits and wondering about the grand plan.

I have found that gnome2 is seeming to get flaky; widgets like wx and
clock fail to start when logging in after boot.

> In the process, MATE require newer version than in pkgsrc main tree,
> and such updated packages are also in pkgsrc-wip now.
> But such update probably require update of old-version-stay-on Gnome2 packages too.

Given that mate is essentially continued gnome2, and that gnome2 is no
longer maintained (right?) then it seems mate should move to pkgsrc
proper and gnome2 be removed.  But maybe that's too drastic.

It sounds like you could like to update a bunch of gnome2 stuff from wip
versions.   As far as I'm concernd that's good and our gnome2 packages
ought to be up to the latest releases.  If no one else speaks up in a
few days, I'd say go for it.

Semi-related, I have a gnome-minimal package that I have never
committed.  I find the gnome meta-package to be crazily bloated.
Perhaps it's that the standard gnome environment has too many things and
the package accurately reflects that.  But I have wanted a way to
install just the desktop environment, with terminal, file manager,
panel, applets, etc. but without any applications.   One can then
install applications as needed.   I don't know how this relates to your
mate packages, but if there's a mate meta-package, it would be nice to
make a mate-minimal that has just enough to have a functioning
environment and leaves off image viewers, pdf viewers, and everything
else that can reasonably be separated.  Then mate can depend on
mate-minimal, so people who want everything get it just as easily.